George Washington Sulphide Portrait
Circular clear glass plaque
Baccarat, circa 1800
are glass ornaments that were hung on a wall by a metal finding at the
top. There are nine plaques in the Barker collection. Sulphide portraits
are contained in paperweights that are from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches, while
the plaques are approximately 1/2 inch think. Most of the sulphide images
were created using medals or coins that commemorated a person or an
MillefioriTazza or Wafer Dish
Saint Louis, circa 1845-55
and Bottle Shapes
The Saint Louis Factory manufactured
the two wafer dishes in the collection. Both feature rims of spiral twists.
One has a paperweight base of scrambled millefiori and the other sports a ring
of millefiori and an inner ring of flower-like arrangements of white, pink,
and green millefiori. Apsley Pellatt is the attributed maker of the collection's
sulphide portrait of King George III. The bottle itself is remarkably like one
manufactured by Baccarat. The collection contains two identical Baccarat bottle
shapes with stoppers. They are not hollow, but consist of a paperweight base
with added neck. The pieces were possibly reworked from wafer dishes or some
other form. The design on each is a garland of millefiori arranged in the shape
of two interlocking trefoils.
Saint Louis, circa 1845-55
Handcoolers date back to ancient Rome.
It is said that Victorian ladies used the egg-shaped glass objects to keep their
hands cool and dry in hot weather or inside muffs. The shape of the glass is
also like that of darning eggs. Whatever the use, the handcoolers in the Barker
collection were made by the Saint Louis company. One is a scrambled millefiori
design in many colors mixed with short filigree twists. The other two hold upright
bouquets and are ringed by rows of printies (windows).
New England Glass Company (attributed)
Another utilitarian object that was
decorated with paperweight designs was the doorknob. The one in the Barker collection
is a double sulphide of Presidents James Monroe and William Henry Harrison.
It is attributed to the New England Glass Company. Other American glass companies
made similar designs.
Apsley Pellatt Sulphide Obelisk
Apsley Pellatt is the attributed maker
of the obelisk containing a sulphide bust of a man.
factory unknown, circa 1920
The collection has a clear glass marble
containing a sulphide figure of a dog. Sulphide marbles were made in Europe and the United States from approximately 1878 to
1926. Most were white in clear glass, and contained figures of animals.
Lampworked Bead Necklace factory unknown
Early twentieth century
bead necklace in the collection is made up of thirteen beads, each of clear
glass partitioned by mauve glass that serves as a backdrop for the two tiny
lampworked pink roses with green leaves, one on each side of the bead.