It has rained all this past week. Early this morning the river began to rise and flood the village. We ran to our canoes and poled across to the bluffs. The current is so strong I was nearly carried away trying to help several families reach their canoes safely. Once we reached the opposite bank we climbed the bluffs to the unfinished fort. As I write there are perhaps 20 of us here. There should be more, I'm afraid some people are missing.
As a group you must decide what to do in this situation:
On paper, list all possible positive and negative outcomes of your decision
- Organize a search and rescue party to go out into the storm to look for the missing people.
- Wait until day break, and if the storm has passed, send out a search and rescue party to look for missing people.
- Wait until the storm has passed to go back to the village and hope any missing people will make their way back home.
- Can you think of another solution?
© Illinois State Museum 31-Dec-96