Apsley Pellatt (1791-1863)
1857 Black and white photo
The Royal Institution, London, UK Bridgeman Art Library
REPRODUCTION PERMISSION IS REQUIRED FOR THE PICTURE
ABOVE. The Bridgeman Art Library will contact the collection on your
Pellat and Green of London
and Green, a London glassworks, of Blackfriar's and St. Paul's Churchyard, was
owned by Apsley Pellatt's father. The son joined the firm in 1811. Young Pellatt's
interest lay in the chemistry of glass. In 1819 he patented a procedure for
making sulphides. From the 1820s to 1850s, Pellatt made many kinds of glass
objects with sulphide images, including bottles, paperweights, and mugs.
Apsley Pellatt Sulphide Obelisk
Apsley Pellatt (attributed)
became very popular during the Classical Revival period of decorative arts.
The famous Portland Vase was an inspiration for this style, as were the many
ancient Roman medallions. Wedgwood made a ceramic copy of the Vase in 1790.
Pellatt's sulphide process allowed glassmakers to encase cameos in glass, in
stead of performing the much more difficult task of cutting thin layers of glass
as in the original Vase. When, after 1850 it was no longer fashionable to buy
cut class, Pellatt made engraved glass items when he was not attending to his
duties as Member of Parliament. After his death in 1863, the company went into
decline despite the management efforts of his brother.