Made by Waring Corporation, New York, NY
Chromium-plated metal, Pyrex glass, rubber
The first electric blender was developed in 1922, specifically for making malts and milk shakes at soda fountains. In 1932 its inventor, Stephen J. Poplawski, received patents for a machine that would reduce fruits and vegetables to a liquid. Another inventor, receiving financial support from Fred Waring, band leader of the "Pennsylvanians," solved some engineering problems and presented the "Miracle Mixer" in 1937. This mixer was first demonstrated by making frozen daiquiris and soon became known as the "Waring Blendor," selling for $29.75.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Larson, Springfield, IL (1983.5.1-3)
© Illinois State Museum 31-Dec-96