1. merchant (n.)--person whose work is buying and selling goods.
2. devotes (v.)--gives your full attention to something
3. is concerned with (v.)--thinks about.
4. considering (v.)--thinking about.
5. winter stock of goods--things to sell in the store during the winter.
6. to be instrumental (v.)--to be helpful.
7. principal founder--person most responsible for starting or beginning a school, a library, or a business.
8. prime--most important.
9. draft (n. & v.)--calling men to fight in the army even if they don't want to.
10. sole (adj.)--only
11. distress (n.)--worries.
13. squalid (adj.)--dirty.
14. to assume back rent--to agree to pay what someone else owes for place to live.
© Illinois State Museum 31-Dec-96